Monday, August 11, 2014

GOSSIP GIRL

HOW I would love to do this one day, gossip under a champagne-laden table!

Of course, when I say gossip I only mean the positive form --exchange of news and ideas-- "good" gossip. I don't mean the claustrophobic gossip meant to do harm or used for social control. This is the kind of gossip which, as George Elliot shows in Middlemarch, is positively evil and should be avoided at all costs.

"Good" gossip can be found in a wide spectrum of novels, ranging from Charlotte Bronte's Villette, where Lucy and Ginevra gossip about the men at a ball, to Fifty Shades of Grey, where Ana and Kate sometimes gossip about Christian <3 In Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, Elinor's strict refusal to do even "good" gossip is shown to be actually harmful and repressive!

I wish you all a great start to the week! xxx






No comments:

Post a Comment