Saturday, August 2, 2014

THE LIPSTICK PAPERS WEEKEND REVIEW

FOR this weekend, The Lipstick Papers travels to Fairy Land, to talk about Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales!

This is a lovely collection of fairy tales from across the world, published by Virago Press in 2005!

The fairy tales are often quite dark; the collection looks back to the time when fairy tales "weren't meant just for children". Thus, there are no stereotyped princesses or fairies. This is a collection for those who enjoy the scary and sinister side of the fair tale.

The black and white illustrations by Corinna Sargood are absolutely marvelous, and Angela Carter's editing work is valuable in and of itself. Angela Carter may be well known to those of you who read magic realism; her untimely death in 1992 has left a vacuum in the world of literature.

For me, this book will always take me back to the time when I first moved to Exeter, coz this is when I bought it, from my local Waterstones! It was a lovely time, with approaching Christmas, and all the bright feeling of a new start.

I recommend the book for anyone who would like to visit the quirky regions of Fairy Land!

No comments:

Post a Comment