Thursday, September 4, 2014

BACK TO THE FUTURE

EXETER University, where I did my PhD, had a massive archive of Victorian periodicals, including women's magazines, with a wealth of information about fashion and beauty!

During my study and research, I collected material from the archives, but obviously I need to find more if I am going to continue writing on the broader Victorian discourse on beauty and fashion.

With advice from the group on Research on Victorian Periodicals, I searched the Hathi Trust and Dickens Journals Online and --hallelujah!-- there is lots of archived digital material! You can see my notebook in the pic, and the amazing lipstick pen!

So I can continue investigating the wonderful nineteenth century periodicals, learning their ideas about beauty and fashion, and smiling or frowning with their prejudices. I also wonder what another researcher will say, two hundred years from now, when she or he will be reading our periodicals, magazines, social media, blogs, even this blog.

Hmmm... I can't speak for every other magazine or medium, but I am sure for one thing. This future researcher will find The Lipstick Papers fascinating!

Have a good Thursday night -- xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment