Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Exactly Like
I am currently reading Venice, a travel book by Jan Morris. It is well-written and interesting, with historical detail and historical anecdotes.
I love Venice and, even more than going there again, I'd love to take part in the famous carnival!
I would dress up as a Victorian lady, complete with the corset, the bonnet plus ribbons, gloves and the crinoline.
I would also wear a parure, like Ginevra Fanshawe from Charlotte Bronte's Villette.
Ginevra Fanshawe is one of my favourite characters in literature -- she is beautiful, exuberant, sexy, coquettish, fun; she is the light to protagonist Lucy Snowe's darkness. Most of all, Ginevra is dressed amazingly well. You just love to read the descriptions of her clothes and costumes. Her fashion sense is among the most wonderful in the whole of literature!
Villette is a phantasmagoric novel. It is mysterious, puzzling, disturbing, it is fascinating and artsy, as well as exotic and tough.
Exactly like the Venice festive carnival.

No comments:

Post a Comment