Wednesday, December 17, 2014

I.E. FASHION AND BEAUTY

LAST NIGHT I gave a public lecture on Fashion and it went fantastic! 

The lecture was titled Fashion, Beauty and Female Creativity from the 19th Century to the Present Day, and was part of the annual series of municipal lectures in my hometown. Each municipality in Cyprus has its own "free" University, and brings in lecturers for a series of annual lectures. This is the second year I have participated, and you can see me in the picture while I am answering audience's questions.

I very much enjoyed presenting my favorite subjects, i.e. fashion and beauty, to a wider audience! It was tremendous fun!

The lecture covered the themes of history of fashion, the history of women through fashion, fashion in literature, and women entrepreneurs and fashion today. These are all also subjects for The Lipstick Papers!

Two of my best friends also participated, one (who is an academic) as presenter/ co-ordinator and the other as contributor, reading (in an amazing way because she is an actress) an extract from a novel!

The audience was warm and very much interested in what we had to say! The subjects which they wanted to know about included:

  • Who takes the decisions about fashion what to wear.
  • The definition of femininity.
  • Women and fashion in Cyprus.
  • Fourth Wave Feminism.
  • Research in Victorian periodicals.
  • Fashion and the financial melt-down.
  • Fashion and consumerism.
  • Eco fashion and fast fashion,


and so on and so forth into fashion eternity! Of course I also talked about The Lipstick Papers, and of course you can expect more amazing posts about fashion in the future!

Have a great mid-week and see you all again soon! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment