Friday, December 19, 2014

THE LONG DAYS OF SPRING AND SUMMER

WE ARE currently into the season I hate, i.e. winter. 80% of the people I know here in Cyprus, love winter and live for the three months where it will be darkness, rain and cold. (Note: I am talking about the people I know personally, I cannot generalize or speak for anybody else). I am exactly the opposite. For me, winter is torture.

There is nothing good about winter. I live for the long days of spring and summer, and prefer even the extreme heat to the rain!

In literature, Winter is the name of a heroine in a nice romance novel, called Shadow of the Moon by British novelist M.M. Kaye. There are some problematic things with that novel, such as the benign approach to imperialism, but as a romance novel it is good! There is thrill, adventure, a happy ending, and an energetic and passionate heroine!

Winter de Ballesteros is named that way because she has snow-white skin. Combined with night-black hair and eyes, these colors make Winter striking and unusual.

For me, the best thing about the novel is that the protagonist, Alex Randall, is very good looking too! He has dark hair, blue-grey eyes, a lovely mouth, and a slender body. As you know, I can't stand it when a novel pays attention to the beauty of the woman while making the man plain. This gives men unreasonable expectations and tries to keep women in their place. What is behind such beauty politics is an idea like this: "Guys, you should look for a beautiful woman no matter how you look yourselves. The plainest guy can ask tremendous beauty in a woman. But YOU girls, no, don't look at appearance! It's personality which counts. Don't expect too much from the man in appearance. Look beyond this, look at personality, beauty is bad in a man, don't expect too much".

Double standard, anyone????

If men are allowed to look for beauty, then the same must go for women.

Anyway, back to the winter season. For me, it is something that needs to be over and done with, and nothing else. Counting the days for spring and summer! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment