Wednesday, March 18, 2015

EXCITING AND EXOTIC

I HAVE started reading the Voyage of the Beagle, which is the Penguin edition of Charles Darwin's journal of his famous and life-changing journey to the Galapagos islands!

Opening the book, I thought, "this is certainly one place where I will not find references to women's fashion". Darwin was in the totally masculinized environment of a ship for five years, with only sailors and the captain for company -- right?

You can imagine my surprise, when I find a passage on women's fashion right on the second page! The journal begins on an island in Cape Verde, and Darwin writes admiringly of some village women's beauty! He was impressed also by the beauty of their white clothes, which contrasted marvelously with the ebony of their skin!

The journal promises to be exciting and exotic, and I will keep you posted. I hope for more references to fashion!

Have a beautiful time for mid-week! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment