Friday, October 21, 2016

BET-TEA BOOP

One of my most prized possessions is the Betty Boop tea-set which you can see here! I bought it 18 years ago from London for £30. The shop was a weird place, in central London, with memorabilia from movies and cartoons. Remember that we are talking about the pre-Internet era, where to find any of these things you had to go out into the real world and locate them physically. Thank goodness for the World Wide Web!


I love Betty Boop, and have a small collection of figurines too. Two come from my beloved Exeter, England, while a third is from Limassol here in Cyprus. The Betties are not easy to find, which makes them all the more unique!

Betty Boop appeared in 1930, at first as a caricature of the actress Helen Kane. Now she is a ⭐️ in her own right. For feminists, Betty Boop is quite subversive - she's a housewife without a husband and thus questions set female roles.
I love the figurines, but my favorite remains the tea set. I have not seen it anywhere else, and it will always take me back to a sunny day in London, in a weird shop run by two odd guys, who seemed to have come out of a cartoon themselves.
Have a great evening! Nothing beats that Friday feeling! 💖💝💄💋❤️
#TheLipstickPapers #BettyBoop #London #tea #teaset #Fridayfeeling#Exeter

No comments:

Post a Comment