Monday, June 23, 2014

PERFECT FOR SUMMER

I KNOW that summer is here once I put my summer duvet cover on the bed! This is a cover I bought twenty years ago, from London. I kept it for ten years in a drawer, until I got my own place, and then I used it!!!!!!

The cover is sparkling white, with lovely flower bouquets spread all over, in yellow, orange and green! It is perfect for summer!

Christina Rossetti wrote about summers in her poetry, though her imagination of summer is not always bright -- a bit like Lana del Ray today, I guess.

Myself, I imagine John Keats writing Nightingale on a summer's eve, in his garden at home in London. After nearly two hundred years, Keats's poetry still sounds fresh, sensuous, -- after nearly two hundred years it still sounds sexy! It is among the most beautiful poetry ever written. Keats himself was beautiful, and died at twenty-five in Rome, having lived a life of poverty and pain. I first read about him in Alcott's Good Wives, a novel I read when I was a kid, and which introduced me to the world of poetry and art.

There are countless ways to think about summer. Summer can be a novel, or a poem, ice cream, the sea and the sand, catching a glimpse of a mermaid on the beach -- to me, it is spreading one lovely quilt, bought twenty years ago from London!


No comments:

Post a Comment