Tuesday, January 19, 2016

ACROSS THE CENTURIES

I READ a little from Lucie De La Tour Du Pin's memoirs each morning -- eventually, I got used to her voice as a start to the day! How odd that books connect us with their writers or characters from across the centuries!

Having finished Lucie, I am on to the memoirs of Elizabeth Vigee Lebrun, portrait maker to Queen Marie-Antoinette! (Lucie was one of Marie-Antoinette's maids of honor).

I didn't know about either book, or about either of the two women (though I knew Vigee-Lebrun's paintings) until I read about her in Marilyn Yalom's book on women who have written memoirs during the French Revolution.

Elisabeth's memoir (in English translation by Sian Evans) is our of print, so I got it second hand from Amazon!

I have just started the book, so I can't say much about it or the writing/ translation. I can tell you, however, about Lucie De La Tour Du Pin's memoirs, which I have just finished. It is a lovely book; Lucie's writing is delicate but sharp, concise and to the point. (I have the suspicion that the translation is not doing her justice). Lucie's life was full of adventure. Apart from an obsession with her unworthy husband, she is a fascinating woman.

I will give you my verdict on Vigee-Lebrun's memoirs when I finish reading!

Have a good night, always with beauty and a book xxx 




No comments:

Post a Comment