Saturday, January 23, 2016

NEVER SAY NEVER (FACING THE SNOWZILLA)

AFTER the terrible sandstorm we had to go through here in Cyprus in the summer, I have sworn never to fret about the rain -- never ever again! For those of you living away from the Middle East, last summer we had the worst sandstorm in history ever. On satellite, there was no view of Cyprus -- it was totally covered in the sand cloud. Those days I longed for the rain -- a good, fresh rain to clean the uncouth air. So I made a promise to myself never to complain about the rain again!

This is a promise that is difficult to keep. You know how much I hate winter, rain and the cold! It's not an accident that in literature cold and rain are often associated with gloom, illness and sadness -- think Jane's desperate days at Reed Hall and the dismal cold at Lowood in Jane Eyre (always in winter), or the horrible storm where Effie's mummy dies in Silas Marner, or Marianne's terrible illness after the rainstorm in Sense and Sensibility. In fantasy literature winter is often a metaphor for evil. I can go on forever. The list is endless!

I guess the promise I made re sandstorm had to do with rain -- I can still hate the cold and gloom of winter! I only like summer and nothing else, except maybe late spring (after the 2nd half of April). 

If you are anywhere facing the snow blizzard (snowzilla) or simply bad weather, stay safe and be well! xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment