Thursday, July 10, 2014

LIPSTICK AND HIGH HEELS

HIGH HEELS look great even in art, as this painting clearly proves!

Also, The Lipstick Papers is happy to report that Christian Louboutin's signature red sole comes from a lipstick! Yes! 

Here's the quote from Louboutin himself: "An assistant in the office always used to wear the same color red lipstick and matching nail polish. One day I asked to borrow it and coated the bottom of a pair of stilettos just to see what it would look like, et voila! I loved the dramatic red color against the clean line of the shoe. It was the most beautiful red I had ever seen. Now it's my hallmark." (Christian Louboutin interview to Gisele Scanlon for The Goddess Guide).

High heels and stilettos undoubtedly make women look sexier and more beautiful. I hate it when women are ridiculed for their love of heels! I never wear heels myself, yet I understand that heels contribute to beauty, and beauty is valued in society. Why are women silly for wearing high heels?

However, heels need to be used in moderation, like everything, I suppose. They are detrimental for the legs and feet, and should be kept for special occasions!

Heels were first introduced in the 1590s, and have a long history; up until the 19th century they were carved from wood and reinforced with leather -- a significant development came when, in 1947, Christian Dior inserted a steel rod in the molded plastic heel. No more breaking!

If you are interested in the history of high heels, or indeed fashion in general, I would recommend The Berg Companion to Fashion, edited by the amazing fashion historian Valerie Steele.

I am currently reading Tamara Mellon's autobiography In My Shoes. Mellon is the co-founder of Jimmy Choo (though I think she has left now). More about the book in a later post!

No comments:

Post a Comment