Thursday, November 13, 2014

MORE THINGS TO BEAUTY

IF you have been reading this blog for a while, you will know that I am much in favor of body size acceptance, and try to talk about the relationship between beauty and weight.

Recently, I have stopped reading a book which was sort of autobiographical, and had to do with a young woman's exploits in fashion. I stopped reading it because I found her obsession with her weight and with male approval to be disturbing and worrying.

Though happily married now, the writer could only think of how she has always been big, and no boy ever dated her at school. She started wearing corsets because they made her look less big.

I stopped reading the book, so I can't really say whether it improves later. The spirit was so repressed that I doubt it, yet I don't know.

Male approval is good and important for women; however, we must not let it define us. Of course we want men to like us, but this must have nothing to do with our self-esteem and our definition of what is beautiful!

Also, there is nothing wrong with being so-called "big". As long as we are healthy and fit, kilos do not matter. This book sent a dangerous message to big girls, telling them in advance that no boy would ever date them. 

Beauty is our own and no-one else's. And there are more things to beauty than a number on the scales!

No comments:

Post a Comment