Friday, November 7, 2014

THE LIPSTICK EFFECT

IT IS one of my beliefs that buying new lipstick is among the best things in life! Yesterday I bought a new lipstick from Guerlain in a lovely pink shade and in a magnificent aerodynamic case, as you can see:


You probably know this already, but in a war or an economic crisis there is the so-called "lipstick effect". Sales of lipstick rise significantly rather than drop. This is because lipstick is affordable luxury, which brightens times of trouble! My own personal dream is to live in the Lipstick building, a skyscraper in the shape of lipstick in New York!

I don't find lipstick too often in fiction, except as a general mention concerning color. Lipstick is of course much more than this! 

Lipstick is often mentioned in Rosamunde Pilcher's Coming Home. This is a novel which I read years ago and which I recently tried to read again. The second time I stopped reading. I love the way the book presents beauty and beautiful women, but this time I couldn't stand the class snobbery, some gender issues and the division of women into bitter old maids and women who have sex.

Women studies today promote a woman's right to virginity as as well as a woman's right to sexuality. What a woman does with her body (or her bed for that matter) is her right and absolutely no-one else's.

Have we strayed too far from lipstick? I don't think so. Lipstick, beauty and body are all a woman's business!

I wish you a great Friday evening! xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment