Friday, October 31, 2014

PETTICOATS AND SKIRTS

AS I was reading today the November 1862 issue of The Englishwoman's Domestic Magazine, I was amused to find an article about a so-called "crinolinophobia"!


This refers to a wave of satire against the crinoline, originated and propagated by men, with the goal of laughing at women who wore the huge crinoline to support their petticoats and skirts.

The writer of the article was, of course, unpeturbed by this, and declared fashion victorious over satire! Women can wear whatever they find pleasing and appropriate.

I take the writer of the article to have been Isabella Beeton, the famous Victorian journalist. Her husband was the editor of The Englishwoman's Domestic Magazine, and Isabella wrote most of the pieces. Isabella and her husband were young, happy and successful; unfortunately, this happiness did not last long because Isabella died at 28 at childbirth. 

However, she has left us a long legacy of writing on housekeeping and fashion!

I do my archival research on the Victorians from online databases of periodicals and magazines. I started this research during my PhD study and have continued it since. I enjoy it immensely. I will keep you posted!

Have a good evening and take care! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment