Saturday, October 11, 2014

THE LIPSTICK PAPERS WEEKEND REVIEW

HELLO and welcome to The Lipstick Papers Weekend Review! Today we got a novel, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. I bought this novel a few years ago from WH Smith at Heathrow airport, as I was boarding a flight. I read it during the long flight for Christmas at my hometown.

WH Smith is the bookstore which got a commission in the 19th century to open in railway stations, and they have since kept the tradition of providing travelers with books. In the UK, there is a WH Smith in all airports, train stations and all the large coach stations!

As anyone who knows me well will tell you, I have a fear of heights and planes. It is a totally irrational fear, which is making my life extremely difficult. Don't ask how I got it, coz I can't tell you. All I know is that I was fine until a few years ago, and then I got this fear.

So what I buy to read on the plane is vital for me, because it can help me go through with the flight. I need something interesting and well-written, nothing nonsensical, annoying or stereotyped, nothing too cultish, or nothing too complex and philosophical.

The Thirteenth Tale was perfect! It's a gothic and weird novel, but very well-written: not too easy, and not too complicated. It's full of secrets and twists. Family secrets, mystery, obsessive love, discoveries, enigmas... If you love this sort of thing, you are going to love The Thirteenth Tale!

You are not going to like it if you are only into conventional and comforting fiction. I too am into comfort (though not convention). The Thirteenth Tale is only slightly discomforting but it is quite unconventional.

By the time I had finished The Thirteenth Tale, the long flight was over and we were ready to land! I closed the book feeling satisfied and happy with my choice.

Have a great weekend, always with beauty and a good book! xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment