Sunday, February 1, 2015

THE LIPSTICK PAPERS WEEKEND REVIEW

HELLO and welcome to The Lipstick Papers Weekend Review! Today we got The Wrong Kind of Snow: The Complete Daily Companion to the British Weather, by Antony Woodward and Robert Penn!

This is a truly amazing book. I absolutely love it and it is one of my favorites in a collection of favorite books!

The Wrong Kind of Snow is witty, informative and original. The brief introduction is lovely, explaining how Britain itself and British life were formed and shaped by the weather. "In Britain, what isn't affected by the weather"? The changeable and capricious weather made Britain green and gave it its turf, wool, and milk; Britain is "the only country with fresh milk in every corner shop and filling station". The constant uncertainty about the weather also meant that Britain pioneered the science of meteorology.

The book is organized like a calendar, with history and historical events related to the weather for each day, guide to temperature and general conditions, as well as astrological information.

The edition is tasteful and elegant -- beautiful, thick paper, pretty fonts, and silver and light blue paper for the jacket.

I bought and read this book when I was doing my PhD in Exeter, UK. It kept me company and kept me amused through long, endless days of study. I totally recommend it to anyone interested in the weather, history and to anyone interested in "book of days" type of books!

Have a lovely weekend, always with beauty and a book! xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment