Saturday, February 28, 2015

TO BE HONEST

OH NO! Waterstones has published their list of "best books" for the last 20 years, and I agree with none!!!!!!!!!

Waterstones are my favorite bookstore chain. Inasmuch as I love Foyles, nothing can beat Waterstones for me. The Costa Cafe in the Waterstones outside the University of London is my favorite spot on Earth.

Still, their list is, for me, an utter disappointment. White Teeth? Captain Corelli's Mandolin? No thanks.

I think that, as far as so-called literary fiction is concerned, I prefer fiction from the 19th century backwards. The only 20th century literary fiction I liked was Virginia Woolf and Joseph Conrad's The Heart of Darkness, though not for bed-time reading; just "serious" reading. On the other hand, I don't mind reading Dickens, Jane Austen and the Brontes for fun.

Recently, I have stopped reading fiction altogether. I read mostly non-fiction now. I write my own fiction (romances) and this is enough for me. The only fiction I read are any classics (from the 19th century backwards) I haven't read yet, and   the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy on repeat. I haven't found anything so exciting since Fifty Shades, to be honest.

I guess "best books" lists are entirely subjective. A formula for book success, or to make us all agree on what is good, is yet to be found. Meanwhile, I'll stick to my preference for the Victorians and for Fifty Shades! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment