Thursday, February 12, 2015

THE MOST FAMOUS MASKED BALL

TODAY marks the beginning of the carnival season in Cyprus, and I was in Limassol, the traditional host city of the carnival! I really enjoyed it, though I was there for work. There was free food and eating, while groups of men and women with masks and carnival make-up were everywhere!

In literature, the most famous masked ball is probably the ball where Romeo meets Juliet in Shakespeare's eponymous play. Romeo and Juliet is a romantic tragedy; Shakespeare used the carnival and the idea of disguise in his romantic comedies as well, most notably in As You Like It and Twelfth Night. 

For famous literary critic Mikhail Bakhtin, the ideas of carnival and festivity represent the rhythm of nature and renewal; the rhythm which knows no death but is on the contrary cyclical and productive!

More recently in literature, Ana and Christian have a fantastic time in a masked ball, in the one and only Fifty Shades of Grey!

If I had not gone to Limassol for work today, I would certainly go to Beauty Line in Anexartisias Avenue, where my friend and great artist Mike Orphanides was doing mind-blowing make-up for carnival for free! I went to say hello and then had to drive back home.

What would be my disguise if I ever find myself at a masked ball? A Victorian lady, of course, complete with the corset, the crinoline, the silk gown and the cashmere shawl!

Have a good night and many xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment