Tuesday, May 3, 2016

NOWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD (THIS POST TO HER)

Are you ready for some traditional Cyprus Easter baking??? Here they are, all home-baked in Pafos by my Aunt Anna, who has amazing baking and cooking talent, especially for anything traditional!
I am posing near a basketful of flaounes, (φλαούνες), a type of cake made with a filling of cheese and raisins. Then it is covered with a sesame and egg mix. You can see the flaounes by themselves in three of the other pics. Flaounes are the sine qua non of the Cyprus Easter.


The other baking goody is the so-called paskia (πασκιά). In Cyprus dialect, it means something like "Easter bake". It's similar to the flaouna, but with meat inside as well as cheese. Plus, the filling is covered with dough, then baked. Paskia is particular to Pafos, you find it nowhere else in the world. It tastes great, and it is very filling. A couple of bites and you are full for hours!


Finally, we have the afkoti (αφκωτή). In Cyprus dialect, it means something like cake with egg. You see that it is a small dough case for the Easter egg.

My aunt says that my grandmother Eudocia baked for each of them when they were children an afkoti. It was a grand event!
My grandmother Eudocia, who passed away 20 years ago, was one of the kindest persons I have ever known. I am sad they did not give me her lovely name, which means, in Greek, "well-given". I was her only granddaughter and she loved me deeply. I loved her too. Let's dedicate this post to her.
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment