Sunday, August 14, 2016

KNOW A SECRET

Charles Dickens has not written any travel books, says Hugh Grant to a psycho customer in the classic film Notting Hill. Hugh Grant plays an independent bookseller specializing in travel books. In one scene, he has to confront an obsessive customer who wants travel books from Charles Dickens. Hugh Grant's character manages to get rid of the customer, telling him there are no such books.

At the Lipstick Papers, however, we know a secret: Dickens did write a travel book, and here it is! It's the travelogue Pictures from Italy! Hugh Grant would be amazed.
In Pictures from Italy Dickens recounts his time in Italy. He writes in 1844, about a journey which took up nearly a year.


Dickens loved Italy and its unbelievable beauty, but he also castigated the poverty, oppression and corruption which he saw everywhere. He was greatly impressed by Pompeii and the power of the mount Vesuvius. He was enchanted by Florence and Tuscany. I think I will give the book a second read!
I picture the copy of my book and the receipt I got from the store in Oxford street. I think the receipt is valuable, too. Dillons no longer exists. Looking at it, I go straight back to that sunny afternoon in London, when I left the store with two books from my beloved Dickens safely in my bag 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment