Wednesday, August 24, 2016

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN (Christian Grey, Al Pacino, and Winnie the Pooh)

A fantastic new addition to my library at home! (Ignore the clock, which is broken and always shows 9:20. Makes me feel a little like Winnie the Pooh). The book is a guide on How to Be a Lady! "We aim to please, Miss Steele," says Christian Grey, always the perfect gentleman. At the Lipstick Papers, we aim to be ladylike!!!

The word "lady" means "bread-maker" or "kneader of dough" from the old English hlaefdide (The Cook's Companion, Ed. Jo Swinnerton).

For the Victorians, to be a true lady and act ladylike was everything. One of the worst things that could be said about a woman was that she was "unladylike". Sadly, the term lady was locked to class, and you could only be a lady if you were middle- or upper class. At The Lipstick Papers we reject all class prejudice!
Personally, I try to follow the rules. Once I had a look at a checklist in a paper (a checklist on being a lady). It turned out I was quite OK. I know that it is not always possible to keep the rules, of course. Sometimes rules must be bent or broken. Yet, it is important to keep your head high, be polite, honest and courteous, even when others are not. This is, as Al Pacino said in Scent of a Woman, integrity. It leads to character.

Lady was also the name of my beloved collie. I raised and loved her more than I have ever loved anyone or anything. She died in 2008 when she was 12 and a half. I have tattooed her name twice, one on the leg, the other on the arm.
Have a good night, always with beauty and a book! Xxx
#christiangrey #alpacino #winniethepooh #scentofawoman #lady #victorians#thelipstickpapers #cyprus #books

No comments:

Post a Comment