Monday, December 19, 2016

ALMOST VERBATIM

Oh, those fascinating Victorian etiquette articles! Women's periodicals are full of conduct and advice articles. Lessons are over for Christmas and I am deep into my Victorians research. For me, the Victorians are amazingly intriguing. I never tire to read Victorian writing, and the more I read, the more I want to read.

This particular article, which I copied almost verbatim today, is called The Girl in Society. It was published in the weekly magazine Bow Bells on July 27, 1888. The article is full of strictures against vanity and says that girls care nothing for the society of boys and find them boring. When a girl grows up, she will start to like young men, but even then contact should be controlled by parents or guardians.

In true Victorian style, there is ambiguity. Despite the strictures, the writer believes that friendship between young men and women is good, because it familiarizes them with each other.

How alien all these seem now to us!!! How alien we will seem ourselves to men and women in 2216!
Have a good evening, always with beauty and a book! 💄💝😀💋👠💖💋💋💋💄
#Victorians #girls and #boys #writing #periodicals #gender #research#TheLipstickPapers #lipstick #beauty #books

No comments:

Post a Comment