Saturday, June 10, 2017

E.G. NOW (THE CAKE TO END ALL CAKES)

Here's the cake I plan to use as birthday cake tonight, the cake to end all cakes, the Victoria sponge! Originating in the Victorian era, it was Queen Victoria's favorite as well. The Victorians invented afternoon tea, the light meal taken at 5 in the drawing room and the nursery. Literature is full of references to cake and the nursery. Who can forget the nursery scenes in Jane Eyre? No one, they are unforgettable! According toteainengland.com, the Victoria sponge cake originated in the 19th century nursery tea. The Victoria sponge was created as a healthier alternative for kids than the traditional tea cakes (fruit and seed cake).


I hope the mad neighbors will allow me to have a small celebration tonight. Sometimes (e.g. now) they are so noisy and obnoxious you think you are in a Victorian lunatic asylum.
As for my birthday, which is today, I don't much believe in the Zodiac- yet I am a typical Gemini. How odd!
To return to the Victoria sponge, or Victoria sandwich, cake. It's very difficult to find in CYPRUS, no one knows it and no one makes it. The only one I could find was from Marks and Spencer. And it is fantastic!
Have a good afternoon, always with beauty and a book! ðŸ’‹❤️💄👠🌷🌷🌷

No comments:

Post a Comment