Sunday, June 18, 2017

GIFT WRAP

This beautiful traditional embroidery comes from Greece, and did not originally belong to me. How I got to have it? Read on to find out! Objects carry with them cultural energy and life stories, as any good cultural theorist will tell you (If you like cultural study buy A History of the World in 100 Objects: it's fantastic).


The embroidery belonged to a colleague with whom I shared an office at a college years ago. I don't even remember her name, but she was from Greece. Also, she gave me some life advice I now wish I had followed!
Anyway, at some point this colleague left - left CYPRUS or just the college, I'm not sure. She left this beautiful embroidery behind.

Some time later, I moved my office to another floor, and thought to take the embroidery home.
I never saw my colleague again. I hope she is well, and thank her for this little gift! ðŸ’‹ðŸ’‹ðŸ’‹
Have a great Sunday, taking beauty always with you ðŸ˜€
#embroidery #tradition #greece #cyprus #gifts #friends #culture#cultural #ahistoryoftheworldin100objects #books

No comments:

Post a Comment