Sunday, June 4, 2017

THIS IS LONDON FOR ALWAYS

Whoever is tired of London is tired of life, said the famous dictionary writer Samuel Johnson. To prove it, he never left London himself. He was right, of course. If I were a Londoner, I would never travel abroad, unless I had a really strong desire to see Italy. In the wake of the new London attack, here is a book which I noted for its description of an evening in London.

The book is Margaret Oliphant's The Marriage of Elinor. "It was still as lovely a summer night as a summer night could be overhead, but down here it was - well, it was London, which is another thing. The usual crowd was streaming by, coming into bright light as it streamed past a brilliant shop window, then in the shade for another moment, then emerging again. The faces that were suddenly lit up ... caught [John Tatham's] attention".

Yep, this is London. I didn't think I was reading a Victorian novel, this is London for always.
Timeless, brave and beautiful: London, stay strong! 😀💝💝💝
#london #lovelondon #victorians #books #oliphant #reading #UK#loveUK

No comments:

Post a Comment