Wednesday, May 7, 2014

A MANIFESTO FOR BEAUTY
NOT even the goddess Athena can resist a beauty contest, even if it is the one which will famously (or infamously) lead to the Trojan war!

I am not in favor of beauty contests, though I am not totally against them either. Anything which has to do with beauty has value for me!

I find the myth important not so much because of the contest, but because of the idea that the Goddess of Wisdom cares about her beauty and wants other people to recognize it as well!

The idea that beauty is silliness just gets on my nerves!

It is not silly for a woman to take care of her beauty and to want to be beautiful. If she doesn't like beauty routines, that's no problem, but if she does like them, it is no problem either. To look beautiful is not for the silly: it takes considerable time, patience, taste and skill.

Besides, who said that beautiful is silly??? Some know-it-all, I am sure. Yet, didn't Socrates say that to think you know it all is stupidity? "The unexamined life is not worth living," he added.

If you think about it, Socrates was right. He believed that to know that you know nothing is wisdom. The more you learn and experience, the more you realize that true knowledge is to measure and appreciate things. True knowledge is not simply "to know".

I am sure the Goddess Athena would approve...

No comments:

Post a Comment