Thursday, February 25, 2016

NO WAY I COULD RESIST

THERE WAS no way I could resist posting pictures of this amazing Berlin wool work! The canvas is a family handiwork, at the house of a friend!

What makes it more amazing for me is also the subject, which is female beauty and art!

The type of embroidery called Berlin wool work was very popular in the Victorian era. Victorian women excelled at producing all sorts of crafts, including embroidery, lace work, knitting and crochet. 

For the middle- and upper-class female, precluded to work by class rules, handicraft and embroidery was a way to fight boredom and the long hours at home. For the working class woman, who worked out of necessity, embroidery was also important: it showed that she was a good housekeeper who took care of her house and family.

Nowadays, embroidery is studied and honored as part of women's history and cultural production. 

I really love this beautiful canvas. How I wish I had time to do some Berlin wool work myself!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment