Tuesday, February 23, 2016

... YET I ALWAYS WEAR LIPSTICK

CAN you believe that I almost took these pics WITHOUT wearing lipstick?????? This is, of course, unacceptable in a blog called The Lipstick Papers. Luckily, I realised that I was posing with no lipstick and remedied the situation. I rarely wear make up, yet I always wear lipstick!

Kalliroe Parren, Καλλιρόη Παρρέν (the famous Greek journalist and intellectual) used to say that you must choose book authors as carefully as you choose your friends. Writing in the 19th century, Parren argued that books must be good for us. I would say the same goes for lipstick! It is, and should be, a careful choice. Lipstick is a lady's best friend.

About book authors, I am not so sure. There are authors who, in my view, have written only one good book. I would choose the book, but not the author. An example, for me, is A.S. Byatt's Possession. It is one of my top books, but I don't like anything else Byatt has written. On Beauty by Zadie Smith, the same. I only like On Beauty from Smith; nothing else.

So I believe that Parren's saying should be modified to go from book authors to the books themselves.

Have a good Tuesday evening!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment