Tuesday, July 19, 2016

BE YOURSELF (CHARLOTTE BRONTE AND STING REVISITED)

It is my favorite scene in Charlotte Bronte's Villette, when a hairdresser comes to prepare all the girls at the school -teachers and pupils- for the fete and a grand ball which follows!

He is an expert, and does Lucy's hair so beautifully that she cannot recognize herself. Lucy is the protagonist and first person narrator. She is plainly insufferable and refuses to be beautiful. For years critics assumed that Lucy is ugly, or at least plain, but now the opinion has changed. Some critics now think that Lucy is simply a young woman who refuses to be beautiful. If treatment in the hands of a good hairdresser made her look so glamorous, the conclusion is obvious.
So here is myself today, with my new hair color! Lighter blonde, going for white blonde!

I loved my raven black hair color, and have had it for all the decades of my life (I won't say how many 😎 But blonde is great too. I think blonde is more myself. I always wanted to be blonde.
As Sting would have it, "be yourself, no matter what they say".
Which is something Charlotte Bronte would definitely agree on!

No comments:

Post a Comment