Saturday, July 30, 2016

LIKE A WEDDING DRESS FITTING (Έμοιαζε με πρόβα, πρόβα νυφικού)

With long, silky hair, large eyes and an oneiric voice, she was perfect for the 60s and 70s Greek psychedelic music! I think it's time to talk about Dora Yiannakopoulou, one of my favorite artists!

Even more than her songs, I love Yiannakopoulou's debut novel, called Wedding Dress Fitting (Πρόβα Νυφικού). This is about a beautiful young woman, whose marriage to a man she loved deeply goes completely wrong. All this happens in the turmoil of the Second World War. Happily, the young woman finds someone else and the evil husband finds the fate that he deserves. This amazing little book became a hugely successful TV series, with a terrific cast and a fantastic soundtrack! (Needless to say the evil husband was played by the gorgeous and intriguing actor Philippos Sofianos, ΦίλιπποςΣοφιανός. The protagonist, Angeliki, was the equally gorgeous Alexandriane Sikelianou, Αλεξανδριανή Σικελιανού).

Dora Yiannakopoulou became famous in the 60s and 70s with amazing Greek psychedelic songs like Marina, Του μικρού βοριά, Στα περβόλια, &c. Her voice is simply magic. It is like clear water running on pebbles, like a waking dream. She is also a most beautiful woman. This type of music, which Dora sings, is called Νέο Κύμα in Greek, meaning new wave. It goes by the term psychedelic, in English. For me, it is the best Greek music ever!!!

I love Dora so much that I bought her recent autobiography, Ζωή σαν Πρόβα, Life Like a Dress Fitting. I haven't read it yet, but I will review it for The Lipstick Papers when I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment