Sunday, July 24, 2016

THE ODYSSEY AND THE LITTLE MERMAID RELOADED

When I was small reading the Odyssey (the children's edition) I was appalled by the portrayal of the mermaids. The mermaids (or sirens, Σειρήνες) try to lure sailors to their doom. But how could this be? Mermaids cannot be evil!!! My seven year old heart rebelled. Had not Homer read The Little Mermaid???

Sadly, he hadn't, as Hans Christian Andersen was born millennia later. If Homer had read the Little Mermaid, he would not have presented the mermaids as heartless killers of men.
(I think there is a Nordic tradition similar to the Greek, as per some Pre-Raphaelite paintings. Sadly, the Nords and the Pre-Raphaelites had not read the Little Mermaid either).

Anyway, what fairy tale and epic mermaids have in common is mythical beauty. No wonder, since the sea is perfect for the skin and for vitality.
Here I am today, taking a nice walk by the sea. I love summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment