Friday, September 9, 2016

CHRISTIAN GREY & THE GOLD STANDARD

National ampersand day today - a great day at The Lipstick Papers, for we just love the ampersand!!! You know my obsession with typeface and fonts. I simply adore all fonts and writing symbols, and the ampersand is among my favorites, if not the most favorite of them all! In the last pic you can see me outside my old primary school - but my love for fonts began before school! I sat with books & pretended to read before I knew what reading was.

The Victorians also loved the ampersand, using it with the c character, instead of "etc" like this: "&c". I love this version of etc., and use it myself!
Apparently, the ampersand has had a cool and tough origin and upbringing: it began as graffiti on the streets of Pompeii. Gradually, it won over all other characters signifying "and". Now it reigns supreme, and features in the logos of companies like Tiffany & Co. You can read all about the amazing ampersand story in the book Shady Characters (see picture).

I have the ampersand as a print out pic stuck on a door, and as a figurine on my bookshelf. Even a small fraction of the bookshelf can show many of my obsessions, e.g. Dickens, Woolf, Fifty Shades like books (the one showing in the pic I haven't read yet. Most of the Fifty Shades like books I sold second hand, because -sadly- they are not as good. No one can be as good as Christian. He is the gold standard).
Happy national ampersand day everyone! Xxx💖💋❤️💝💄💄💄


No comments:

Post a Comment