Thursday, September 15, 2016

HOUSEKEEPING AND TEA CAKES (JANE EYRE MEETS GREEK PHILOSOPHY)

Today I channeled my inner Victorian, and marched in a war against the pantry moth! Before the 21st century domestic goddess, the Victorians were all about spotless homes, shiny furniture and cleansed cupboards. Victorian magazines and manuals are full of great advice. I cleaned the tiny pantry in the kitchen, taking courage by thinking about Jane Eyre who, together with the servant Hannah, clean Moor house from corner to corner!

Jane had a pretty cottage, while I have a tiny mortgaged flat in a noisy building. But no matter. A home is a home - Greek philosopher Diogenes lived in an old barrel (one of those huge ones) just to show that we must shun material goods. When King Alexander (the Great) asked Diogenes, "is there absolutely anything I can do for you"? He replied, "please move away, you are hiding the sun".


Back to the pantry moth. My flat was full of it, with larvae hatching and multiplying. I did not know what to do, and went to the Internet for advice. I found info about the moth, and learnt that it comes in the pantry inside some packet of cereal or pasta and it is soon everywhere! Solution: clean the kitchen shelves, and throw away all pasta & cereals!!! It was so tiring! I washed everything from the measuring jug to my Starbucks espresso cups. I threw away my cereals, but kept the pasta. If the moth does not go away I will have to do that too 😢
Being a domestic goddess (or a domestic god) is not easy. But, with a slash of lipstick, and the help of Victorian lit, it's not impossible.
Eventually, I rewarded myself with a M&S tea cake. These are my favorite tea cakes in the world. You can see them in the pic.
Have a nice afternoon and be well! Xxx 💄💋❤️💝💖💄💄

No comments:

Post a Comment