Sunday, September 4, 2016

WELCOME BACK, BARBIE!!!

I knew that one day I would need the services of Jenny Wren, the doll's dressmaker in Our Mutual Friend! I couldn't find anything pretty for my rescued Barbie, so I kept the old dress. Yes, finally I rescued my childhood Barbie doll! I found her in an old cupboard and now she is back with me. I washed her hair too, and made it fine again!
Barbie may be missing a limb or two, but this has nothing to do with beauty. My Barbie is forever beautiful.

I got her when I was very small. I loved and took great care of her, but others didn't, and she ended up badly damaged. She has been somewhere in a cupboard for more than a decade. When I found her, her hair was almost black with soot. So I got into the Internet for info. The best advice was in thehowtowashstuff.net. With one eye on the screen reading instructions, and the other on the hair conditioner tube, I washed Barbie's hair and face. Now Barbie is (nearly) back to her old glory!


The dress she is wearing is a 60s doll dress (it belonged to an earlier doll). The Barbie clothes I found in Debenhams were horrid. But I will look in other toy stores too. If I ever learn to sew, I will do some proper clothes for her.
Jenny Wren, the doll's dressmaker from Our Mutual Friend, is one of Charles Dickens's most fascinating and disturbing characters. I totally recommend the book, but only if you like huge books.


As a child, I was never negatively influenced by Barbie. I was proud that a girl could look this good. (I always thought Barbie was real, I still think so now). I do believe Barbie can teach confidence and achievement, because, (a) she can be anything and do everything, while, (b) she is always beautiful and feminine. Some feminist critics think so now too.
Welcome back, Barbie!!! I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment