Sunday, April 16, 2017

ONLY COWGIRLS GET THE BLUES

Easter Day today, and I must mention something I read in a book about the birth customs in CYPRUS (Easter is about rebirth, so I guess this is not entirely irrelevant). In pre-industrial CYPRUS, midwives used to be armed! Yes! They would carry a shotgun over their shoulder, while going from village to village on horseback. "I carried the sshipetton (σιπέττον, shotgun) everywhere, because the roads were dangerous". An interviewed midwife said.

Midwives are now back in vogue: in the UK they work with doctors to great effect. Traditionally, midwives were both respected and feared. They were associated with the mysteries of new life, and with witchcraft. In the Ancient Greek religion the Goddesses Hera, Athena and Artemis are patrons of the midwife. The newborn Goddess Artemis famously helped her mortal mother Leto deliver Apollo (Artemis's twin bro).
So, what else is new? I adopted a most beautiful stray dog, and I'm wearing the most amazing pink blouse as you can see. Pink cotton with embroidered pearls 💋❤️👠🌹
#easter #pink #pinkblouse #pearls #midwives #midwifery #cyprus#ancientgreece #goddess

No comments:

Post a Comment