Tuesday, April 28, 2015

I RODE ONE EVENING WITH COUNT MADDALO

LIPSTICK for this afternoon was Spanish Rose by Clinique! I have had this lipstick for a few years and I love it absolutely. It was the perfect addition to a perfect evening - coffee with friends and the start of summer!

Yes, the air is full of summer and we are loving it. When I go jogging, the air smells of bread. There must be some wild cereal growing around. Tonight, there was a fresh food smell all over; I don't know what it was, but it was rejuvenating and fantastic.

There is a poem by Shelley which strongly reminds me of summer; the narrative poem "Julian and Maddalo: a Conversation". It's really long and I must confess I have not read it all. But, to me, there is something timeless about the opening lines: "I rode one evening with Count Maddalo/ Upon the bank of land which breaks the flow of Adria towards Venice... ". Count Maddalo is, in reality, Lord Byron, and Julian is Shelley. Riding to immortality along the shore, "The living spray along the sunny air Into our faces". There's summer for you -- summer in all its glory. Romantic poetry is quintessential poetry. Inasmuch as I love modern and postmodern poets, there is nothing like the Romantics for me.
Have a good evening wherever you are, with beauty always with you! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment