Thursday, April 9, 2015

YOU LEARN SOMETHING EXCITING EVERYDAY

THOUGH I once attended a paper presentation on the English novelist Ouida, I did not know too much about her. I was thus thrilled to find out that she lived unconventionally, and permanently moved to Florence, my own favorite city!


Moreover, I was pleasantly surprised to see that one of her most popular novels is called and set In Maremma -- Maremma is the picturesque seaside Tuscany town which I also used for my own novel called Sleight of Hand! You learn something exciting every day!

Ouida is the pen name for Maria Louise Rame, who grew up to become a famous sensation fiction writer in 19th century Britain. Sensation fiction is a form of Victorian fiction that concerned itself with crime, bigamy, and family secrets, usually with a beautiful woman at the centre. This beautiful woman could be a victim or could be sinister, but always spoke to Victorian fears and concerns about the role of women in marriage and society.

Sensation fiction was the precursor of --what else?-- detective fiction! Sensation master pieces like The Woman in White (by Wilkie Collins) and Lady Audley's Secret (by Mary Elizabeth Braddon) led the way for the beloved Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories.

I will order a couple of Ouida's books, and let you know what I think. Meanwhile, have a good night and take care! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment