Monday, May 18, 2015

DO IT IN STYLE (HOMER'S ODYSSEY, A PAIR OF NEW JEANS AND STARBUCKS COFFEE)

TODAY I premiered my new pair of jeans, which I bought from Eponymo Fashion here in Cyprus! I had a long day ahead of me, so I thought I might as well do it in style. Here is the new pair -- pretty, trendy and very comfortable!

It's been a while since I had bought a new pair of jeans, and the reason was not lack of funds (though my budget is always tight). The reason was that I hate the skinny type of jean which has been in fashion for a while -- too long a while, if you ask me. The skinny leg does not suit me, but this is not the reason I never wear skinny jeans. As far as fashion goes, I am in favor of the maxim, "if you like it, wear it". If I sit down to think who likes or doesn't like what I wear I will go crazy, so I act on my own instinct alone. What I hated about skinny jeans was the uncomfortable way they feel on the leg, the way they seem to make every body type look ugly, and the actual feet seem enormous. No skinny jeans for me!

In the picture you can see me in Starbucks Coffee. How amazed I was to see the art on the Starbucks cup! It's amazing, and a brilliant idea!

The mermaid is such a beautiful and exciting figure, that it can go anywhere and take any form. How unhappy I am when I read the mermaid/ siren episode in the Odyssey! The sirens in the Odyssey are supposedly all wrong, and sing a magic song which drives sailors to destruction. Cunning Odysseus instructs his companions to seal their ears with wax and tie Odysseus himself on the ship's mast. While he listens to the song, Odysseus starts to beg his companions to untie him so that he can go join the sirens. However, the ears of the companions are sealed, and they are deaf to Odysseus's pleas (which was the point of the wax in the ears).

Odysseus does not comment on the sirens' song, and Homer does not enlighten us either. After all, no mortal except Odysseys has ever heard the song and lived. In real life, we call a siren's song anything attractive yet destructive too, anything impossible which may lead someone to ruin.

On the other hand, the song may have been a song of self-protection, to guard the beautiful yet defenseless sirens from armed or dangerous men!

Have a beautiful night and be well! xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment