Sunday, May 10, 2015

THE LIPSTICK PAPERS WEEKEND REVIEW

HELLO and welcome to The Lipstick Papers Weekend Review! Tonight we have Elizabeth Gaskell, a biography by Jenny Uglow! Here I am holding the book today:

Elizabeth Gaskell is a favorite Victorian writer for me, though I don't love all of her books, and certainly her religiosity makes me cringe. Long passages in her books sound a lot like church sermons; still, the Victorians were like this, they felt the need to preach and sermonize to no end. I guess I love Elizabeth Gaskell's way with the pen -- there is a delicacy to her writing which I find very appealing. I have found the same delicacy in the hand of Samuel Richardson, who wrote Clarissa and Pamela, and also with Byron, in his letters and journals.

Jenny Uglow, who wrote this biography, writes beautifully as well. Her language is thick and full; you feel satisfied and content when you read her writing. 

Uglow is an amazing historian, and handles theme and content excellently well. Her books contain history, fact and literature in just the right dose!

I have just started Elizabeth Gaskell, and I am enjoying it very much! It is precise, well-written and enjoyable. The cover and spine are beautiful and make a very pretty addition to the book-shelf. The photographs and illustrations section could have been larger, though.

I wish you a good night, always with beauty and a book! xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment