Thursday, May 21, 2015

IT'S CALLED MAKE-UP

HERE is the make-up apparatus for the early 20th century, according to The Saturday Review: lipstick, rouge, powder in various colors, kohl and eyebrow pencil. And here is myself deep in make-up study!

The term make-up was popularized by Max Factor, but I have found it in periodicals as early as 1886. In All the Year Round, Charles Dickens reports that "the whole tribe of cosmetics" is called "make-up" in "theatrical parlance".

The "tribe of cosmetics" was totally distrusted by 19th century conventional minds, and even fashion and beauty columns would not recommend it as late as 1893 (as I saw today in an April 1893 edition of the Bow Bells Magazine).

I am currently working with 19th century periodicals in order to write an article on Victorian beauty discourse from the periodical press. Thanks to the Internet and digitization, we no longer have to travel to Britain to read Victorian magazines!

I will keep you posted on my findings in future posts. Meanwhile, have a good evening, and be well! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment