Wednesday, August 5, 2015

DOLLY KEEPS A SECRET

HERE'S A SKETCH I made, inspired by a scene from Possession, A.S. Byatt's neo-Victorian novel, and one of the best books I have ever read!


Neo-Victorian novels are novels written by contemporary authors in the Victorian style. Apart from A.S. Byatt, others who have written neo-Victorian novels are Sarah Waters and Peter Carey.

Possession has all the things I love: Victorians, letters, beauty and the blonde, reading and writing. It is a novel about literature and books, and the novel which made me want to do a Victorians PhD!

I made the sketch with pencil, ink and professional color pencils. These pencils are Stabilo and Derwent and were expensive, so I bought them one by one. However, they are still good after twenty years, hard to find here in Cyprus now and, if used by a trained hand, can produce a drawing which looks as if it has been stamped on the paper.

A central part of the Possession plot happens through letters (though Possession is not an epistolary novel). The letter was a very popular method of communication from the 18th century on. Especially when used by women, it was a way for them to escape from the confining domestic sphere, albeit only imaginatively through writing.

I have to say that Possession is the only A.S. Byatt novel I liked. I started three others, but was terribly disappointed. Only Possession is a masterpiece.

Have a good night and be well! xxx

P.S. This is the sketch reworked a little on the iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment