Wednesday, August 19, 2015

THROUGH PRACTICE AND OBSERVATION

THIS is a drawing I made inspired by Charlotte Bronte's Villette! 

Personally, I never took drawing lessons, I taught myself. Whatever I learnt was through practice and observation. I haven't drawn for years, and now I am trying to cultivate the skill once again. The talent for art is never lost, of course, but, unpracticed, it tends to get "rusty". 

If you think, as I do, that the brunette looks like Salma Hayek, this was completely coincidental. I don't know how I managed the likeness.

The drawing shows Lucy Snowe, the protagonist in Villette, and Ginevra Fanshawe, her pupil and friend. Lucy is angry because Ginevra has accepted the necklace gift from an admirer. Now, don't think that, in the novel, Ginevra is repressed while Lucy is revolutionary and independent. The novel shows that there are nuances to independence and, personally, I have found Ginevra to be more independent and strong-willed than Lucy. 

If you have not read Villette, I do recommend it as one of my favorite novels. It's long and often odd, but I think it's quite worth it.

Have a good afternoon xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment