Monday, August 24, 2015

MY FAUX BIJOUX INSECT RING

I LOVE this faux bijoux insect ring which I bought a few days ago from my friend at Pearls and Shells here in Cyprus!

Personally, I love insects, especially spiders and bees. (I don't  even mind cockroaches). In this, I am the perfect Victorianist -- the Victorians loved to study, draw and collect insects and were pioneers in the science of entomology (εντομολογία, from the Greek word for insect, entomo, έντομο).

I am not sure what the insect on my ring is. It looks like a caterpillar. I like to imagine it is a bee!

Bees are associated with industry and hard work: for the Ancient Religion, bees were holy and closely linked to the Great Goddess who mothered humanity and the Universe. In the Olympian (Ancient Greek) religion, the bee was linked to the Goddess Artemis. The Great Goddess herself was a sort of proto-Artemis; Artemis is the Goddess of the moon, virginity, fertility, child-birth and hunting, called Diana in the Latin Roman world.

Further, bees were considered holy because they fed and protected the child Zeus, who was being hunted by his own father Cronos.

I love my new "bee" ring, and I was very happy to wear it at the movies on Friday night. I saw Hitman, which I really liked. It was violent, but it had a credible plot, and was quite respectful to women. For me, gender and women issues are the primary criterion for everything from movies to politics.

And Rupert Friend, who starred, was gorgeous, hehehee!

Have a good start to the week! xxx

P.S. The information about the bee in the Ancient and the Olympian religions comes from the Greek book, The Bee and its Produce, ETBA Cultural and Technology Foundation, 1996 (Η Μέλισσα και τα Προϊόντα της, Πολιτιστικό Τεχνολογικό Ίδρυμα ΕΤΒΑ, 1996). 

No comments:

Post a Comment