Monday, September 21, 2015

GIVE ME McDONALD'S ANY TIME (THE LIPSTICK PAPERS BOOK REVIEW)

THERE is nowhere more appropriate to review a book about fast food than in a fast food joint! Here I am at my local Burger King.

I bought Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation in the Penguin Celebrations series, from the beloved Blackwell University Bookshop in Exeter, when I was still doing my PhD. I started reading it only recently.

I am not sure I like it, though. The start is very good: a history of the fast food industry and an account of fast food's commercial and cultural presence today (e.g. commercial ads in school buildings).

However, the rest of the book is not equally relevant or interesting and I stopped reading. It seemed to me as a repetition of the general social condemnation of fast food. "Fast food is bad for you, don't eat". Nothing original or new here.

I personally like fast food, but I didn't enjoy my visit to Burger King in Larnaca. The food is OK, and I liked the unisex parent and child post in the restrooms (rather than the terribly sexist mother and child post or, even worse, the mere placement of a board on which to change the baby in the women's toilets).

Still, the place was too noisy, toddlers were running in hysterics everywhere, AND the board floor on the outer restaurant is made of planks. Can you imagine the noise when someone drags a chair? We DON'T put plank floors in fast food joints. The noise is a nightmare.

I am not going to Burger King ever again. Give me McDonald's any time! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment