Friday, October 2, 2015

THE FAMOUS SPOT

Reading Madame De La Tour Du Pin's memoirs, I have reached the famous spot where she cuts her long, golden hair and throws the curls at sea! Lucie (that's her name) was a French aristocrat who escaped to Boston, US, after months of hiding, thus avoiding the guillotine.

In the US Lucie did very well as owner of a farmstead, selling produce and home-made butter in packages which she decorated herself! I will tell you more as I move into the story. I do know that the husband, who was obsessed with his aristocratic roots, insisted to return to France. It seems (from remarks made by the older Lucie, who tells the story) that they kept their titles but lost their money.

I don't know, but the husband seems to me to have been a spoilt prick. He was a military aristocrat, and had fought wars, but Lucie seems more determined and powerful than he (the escape to the US was her idea).

I find it a bit sad that long blonde hair was associated with frivolity. However, Lucie herself admits that she had been frivolous and spoilt before the Revolution.

You can see in my sketch the attention I give to women's hair. There is going to be a new essay collection out on women's hair, as mentioned in a New Republic article. So excited!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment