Saturday, October 24, 2015

THE LITTLE WOMEN ETHIC (NEVER SAY NEVER)

I was fascinated the other day by a beauty clinic and spa featured on World Fashion TV (it is called Aryan East-West clinic, and seems to be a Russian-Indian collaboration). I don't think I will ever be able to afford it, but this doesn't mean I can't get some beauty tips!

They have a facial therapy where fresh aloe leaves are cut in front of the customer, in pieces, then each piece is cut in half. With each half you do a massage on the face. The next day I paid a visit to my friend with the aloe vera in the garden:

I can't wait to try this treatment!

Plus, here I am looking nice on a budget. Everything here is medium to low price. 

I guess I am applying the Little Women ethic, which was, "be happy with what you have, and never ask for more". Why I don't like it in the original book? Because it refers to a society (the 19th century society) where a woman's status was that of her father or her husband. There was no way for the middle-class, "respectable", woman to make her own living, and was persistently taught to be happy with whatever her father/husband could provide. This is what irks me.

But when it is with our own efforts that we manage to get the little we have, then of course we should be happy! 

:-)
P.S. And we should never say "never".

No comments:

Post a Comment