Saturday, October 10, 2015

THE STUFF OF ROMANCE

STOCKINGS are the stuff of romance ever since Mr Darcy fell in love with Elizabeth Bennet the moment he saw her arrive at his friend's house with red cheeks, flashing eyes and dirty stockings after a long walk in the rain!

Here I am in one of my favorite places on earth, a Calzedonia store! You probably know by now that I am the perfect shopaholic -- my very identity is closely associated with specific shops and consumer goods, and I am happier than happy when I shop! Yes, I am a shopaholic and not ashamed to say it. My shopping doesn't have to be anything expensive, but it has to be pretty and make me experience a "spark of joy". (As the esteemed Marie Kondo would put it, about items we have in the home, in The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying).

Hosiery and stockings is another love of my life, right after books, beauty products and clothes. I love Calzedonia, the Italian shop which makes a sparkling addition to the Cyprus shopping experience! Not only the actual products, but also the whole package is coquettish and pretty. I feel more feminine just by stepping into the store.

Victorian women had to be able to mend stockings -- it was an important housekeeping skill. No wonder then that Ginevra Fanshawe, my own favorite Victorian character, is useless at it!

Luckily, nowadays stockings are too strong to need mending. Living in the 21st century certainly has benefits.

Have a good night and be well! xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment