Thursday, March 10, 2016

THE STRAIGHTFORWARD, VANILLA ANSWER

There are many things you can do with a portrait than hiding it in the attic where it will grow old while you stay young! For example, you can publish it in your amazing blog about lipstick, beauty and books!

This iPad portrait was taken the other day by my friend, who is a great amateur photographer. I just love it! (It's three pictures actually, so three portraits).
The portrait has been invested with mystical power since forever - think of the intriguing women painted by Leonardo- a trend which culminated in Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. Dorian is the classic literary character I am in love with!
(As for popular literary characters, you know my obsession with Christian Grey. Maybe I also love their shared surname???)

If you are interested in portraits in literature, have a look at Lady Audley's Secret, Mary Elizabeth Braddon's disturbing novel about murder and madness. I read somewhere that the portrait of Lady Audley from that novel is a precursor to the picture of Dorian Gray in Wilde's novel.
Another sinister portrait is found in Earthbound, the Victorian novella by Margaret Oliphant.
Of course, I like sinister myself. I don't always go for the straightforward, vanilla answer. And I sincerely hope that Christian Grey is reading this!!!
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment