Thursday, April 21, 2016

CALL IT WHAT YOU WILL

It's a special day at The Lipstick Papers today, because it is the 200th anniversary of Charlotte Bronte's birth! Charlotte is one of our absolute favorites!

Her novel Villette was one of the major novels of my PhD; Villette is a bizarre text, but it is a treasure trove for material on Victorian women, beauty, education and fashion. Still, my personal Charlotte Bronte favorite is Jane Eyre. Gothic romance, dark fairy tale, call it what you will, Jane Eyre is a masterpiece!

In the picture I am holding my favorite copy of Jane Eyre (I have three). I love the cover, in detail in the pic below. This is John Everett Millais's picture "waiting". It is as if he made it to illustrate Jane herself: a girl who is delicate, other-worldly, thoughtful.

So, thanks a lot, Charlotte Bronte! You've given us so much, and we love you! ðŸ’–
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment